TAMPA — Eighteen historic preservation projects will share $1 million worth of challenge grants authorized this week by Hillsborough County.
A citizens committee recommended two heritage tourism projects presented by the Ybor City Museum Society including $28,425 is for the Tampa Baseball Museum exhibits and $6,800 is for the development of a virtual tour, because of the coronavirus pandemic to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the Buildings Alive! annual tour.
The county approved 16 awards under the historic buildings and sites category including two new applicants: Serendipity Productions LLC, $41,234 for maintaining and rehabilitating property at 1602 E. 3rd Ave., and Seminole Heights United Methodist Church, 511 E. Hanna Avenue, $57,710 for its historic windows and other preservation activities.
The other grants are for 14 returning requests:
* $35,000 to CMJ Centro Ybor LLC , for the fourth phase of renovating Centro Ybor at 1526-1536 E. 7th Ave.
* $25,000 to the Chiselers for architectural and engineering evaluation for a lightning protection system at the former Plant Hotel, 401 W. Kennedy Blvd.
* $101,400 ( the largest of the grants) to JC Newman Cigar Company to restore the building’s clock tower at 2701 N. 16th St.
* $95,000 to Friends of Union Station for improvements to the station’s baggage building at 601 N. Nebraska Ave.
* $37,500 for the Victory Ship Inc., docked at 705 Channelside Dr., for maintenance to keep the ship seaworthy.
* $48,000 for new windows at Ybor Nuccio LLC at 2234 E. 7th Ave.
* $23,000 for Hillsborough Education Foundation, for windows at 2306 N. Howard Ave.
* $96,117 to Centro Asturiano de Tampa for tuck pointing and sealing on the building’s north wall located at 1913 N. Nebraska Ave.
* $100,000 for water irrigation system at Temple Terrace Golf & Country Club, 200 Inverness Ave., Temple Terrace.
* $60,000 for 8-Count Productions LLC to continue rehabilitating the Rialto Theatre, 1617 N. Franklin St.
* $70,924 to the Cuban Club Foundation, Inc. improvements and repairs to the windows in the building’s ballroom at 2010 Avenida Republica de Cuba.
* $70,000 to 407 East LLC, 6108 North LLC, 6116 North LLC for roof replacement of buildings located on Central and Hanna Avenues.
* $48,750 to St. James House of Prayer Episcopal Church to correct drainage and water issues and to provide safety lighting at the church at 2708 N. Central Ave.
* $55,500 to St. Paul Lutheran Church to replace the flat roof and correct water intrusion on the educational building for the church at 5103 N. Central Ave.